The Irish Mob is boss. That is all.

Feeling creative? Want to show your love for the Mob? Do both in one go - check out the Mr/Ms Mob 2010 competition!
Don't forget to visit our chatbox for some random chatter about nothing in particular.
Invite all your friends! Invite everyone you could ever know!
Help us continue our story 6 words at a time here.

Animes We Recommend

Rhosauce
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Animes We Recommend

Post by Rhosauce on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Ones I recommend:

Seirei No Moribito (lots of plotholes, though)
    Full Metal Alchemist
    History's Strongest Disciple, Kenichi (only 50 episodes)
    Naruto (skip the filler arcs)
    Bleach (skip the filler episodes)

And my favourite anime ever:

Fairy Tail (please excuse the questionable name)

Here's a taste of the music from Fairy Tail, which is one of the best things about it. I've got it all on my PC because it's just too badass.

ENJOY!
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Re: Animes We Recommend

Post by ephie on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:27 pm

I am quite enjoying Naruto. It's the first real anime I've watched (unless you count Pokemon and Avatar, which most don't) and I'm really liking it. They take a while to flesh and develop the things behind the action and I enjoy that.

Fairy Tail was very good as well, it's hilarious and action packed and doesn't make a lot of sense some of the time. Plus it has Irish styled music. Great gravy.

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:07 am

Claymore (though the manga is better, as with Fullmetal Alchemist)
    Black Lagoon
    Xian
    You are tearin' me apart!

Post by Xian on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:45 am

im up to date with bleach

currently watching naruto, im at around the 140's

after that probably move on to the 2nd season, then death note
    Rhosauce
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Rhosauce on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:43 am

Highschool of the Dead.

I recommend it. Zombies, guns, swords, and so much fan service.
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot on Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:49 pm

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    - No anime can top this show. My blood boils every time I watch it.

Star Driver: Takuto of the Radiance
    - Currently running show, we're 9 episodes deep this week and there's no sign of explaining anything. A story about a fish-girl and her boyfriend. Shrine Maidens. Time stopping. Giant Robot fights. Falcon punches.

eF ~ Tales of Memories / ef ~ Tales of Melodies
    - A story driven show that is deeply confusing and can be watched with either Memories or Melodies first and you still won't get one till you finish the other.

Shiki
    - Currently running.
    This is a bit like The Walking Dead, except with Vampires and much greater aggravation of the characters.

Amagami SS
    - This is like a collection of short stories, each being it's own small romance. Out of 6 arks, only one was bad. And one was alright. The rest were pretty good, but it also could fall to your personal preferences as well.
    Each ark is only 4 episodes long. 24 episodes in total.

Time of Eve
    - Think iRobot, but actually done a lot better. It's the future, people have house robots. Though they're in a semi-sentient and aware state. And a strong moral cloud overhanging the whole show.

Eden of the East
    - Noblesse Oblige is all I can really say. This show throws you in without a clue and you follow things very deeply in a more story driven experience.
    Though the second movie was a bit of a let down; I think I can still recommend the series as a whole.

Panty and Stockings with Garterbelt
    - A show taking on the american animation style similar to the work of Craig McCracken & Genndy Tartakovsky.
    The entire show and characters were conceptualized on a bath towl in a hot spring while by the Gainax team while intoxicated after the success of Gurren Lagann

Aishiteru ze Baby
    - Probably one of the most endearing stories I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I simply picked it up because I read the manga out of boring.
    I won't lie, I cried a bit. And if you don't then I don't know what to say

Baccano!
    - A heavily American-Western influenced anime. It takes place during the 1800's and "Cowboy" time. With flashes to the 1920/30's with Prohibition in effect. I can't say a lot as I don't want to spoil the story but it's very hard to follow and it's heavily based on figuring out clues. Everything wraps together so nicely in the end that it leaves with a feeling of being dumbstruck and amazed.

Durarara!!
    - Made by the same guys that made Baccano! and you can tell it's them as well. This story is really told from 3 different perspectives and features more characters than a barrel full of monkeys, but each gets strong development and depth to who they are that you easily feel entangled yourself into the story and the city in which it takes place.

Gundam 00
    - It's hard to not recommend this show; though the second season, after the emotional height of the first, is hard to take in. When you do finish thing; you almost have such a perfect Gundam experience that you forget some of Sunrise's past endeavors (Gundam SEED) but can easily tell that the old and new staff really pulled together make a show that culminated the whole experience to make you feel as a fan, deeply entertained. And as a new comer, engulfed in a universe that was easy to take in.

Code Geass
    - Between the mind-fuck of a story, and the ending which left so many fans angry and in debate it comes hard not to tell someone to watch this show.
    It's a powerful piece that even gets more tightly woven around your psyche once you finish as you have the desire to know. A hunger. A need.
    But you need to be patience. Almost bringing you to the level of insanity of the world that is portrayed

There could be more but I'll drop it at there for now.
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Have you ever seen any of .hack, Tot? Specifically, .hack//Twilight? I played the first game and own the manga corresponding with that one, so I'm curious to hear what you think of it before I watch it. I read that .hack//Roots was painfully slow, and character driven with little to no action, so I hope it's not like that. U.U

Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:33 pm

.hack//

Well... it's not all that bad but I'll kinda flow it as I remember:

Twilight
    - Very lighthearted in comparison to Sign which came before it (and it Cameo's often.)
    I can't say it was... terrible really... but in terms of production value and such; it's behind sign.

Sign
    - Generally the best of the series, it's slow, the plot is thick and hard to wave through at times; but when you get to the end of you're just dragged deeper into a world you want to know more about. .Characters are all well developed and generally speaking; it doesn't really have a flaw that ruins the show besides the some-what slow pacing.
    Though if you like murder-mystery type of pacing, you'll be fine with Sign.

Liminality
    - This series is good... if you played the Dot-Hack games, that's all there really is to it. It makes the games feel more like a Metal Gear Solid game with the level of story telling as these are essentially 45 minute (Beautiful) cutscenes which fill in more backstory or "dropped" plot lines. (Note: Only dropped in the US releases because the US Publisher was a faggot)

Roots
    - Roots tries to tie together the games and anime into one universe... and I just don't think it did it well. I played the games, watched the anime, and read different mangas, ect... but this came to a point where I had to kinda ignore what happened before and just follow the story of what's going on.
    If you played Dot-Hack G.U. this fits in well because it happens right after G.U. but as far as the element to tie in the other series goes... I would ignore it to be honest. More headache than it's worth.

Now I wouldn't call Roots painfully slow; it just feels really bogged down with the level of story they try to cram into such a short series (only 2 seasons long)

Roots, in my opinion, would have been much better if they had let it tell it's own story for the first 13 episodes or so, and then moved into back story and story linking later on, and extended it to 50 episodes.

That sounds insane for a show supposed to be painfully slow; but like I said, it's like eating a pound cake without having any milk to wash it down with.
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Damn. I really enjoyed the first game, but since I only owned a PS2 for like four months before my mum got divorced, I never got to try the rest of them. Oh well, at least the manga I have is good.

Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:04 pm

If you haven't watched Sign, go watch it.

Roots will be up to you; it's not the worst TV show I've ever watched. Though it definitely could have used a re-tooling form the get-go.
    Jarkeler
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by Jarkeler on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:04 am

Black Lagoon

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Cowboy Bebop

Gun Girls

Outlaw Star

And I'm throwing in a couple of movies:

Grave of the Fireflies (One of the most powerful films I've ever seen, animated or live-action.)

Ghost in the Shell

Akira (Weird as fuck, but still cool.)

Princess Monoke

I'm done :)
    Sloid
    DERP
    DERP

id Recommend

Post by Sloid on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:31 am

Gundam Wing - Absolute classic, if ur a fan of mechs, violence, great voice acting, lot of political issues, and the best "NOOOOOOOO" moment in history lol loved it

Gungrave - Crime drama in anime form, how this guy wants revenge and also rises up through the criminal underworld. loved it

Gundam 00 - What tator tot said, loved this too :)

Dragon Ball z - Amazing series, although watch the new remade version where they just keep the good bits basically :)
    Xyless
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by Xyless on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Shin-Chan.

That is the only thing that everyone should see.
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Xyless wrote:Shin-Chan.

That is the only thing that everyone should see.

Definitely the American dub though; besides how impossible it is to find subs; the jokes in the original are very out dated and not nearly as relevant or funny.

Also from the Fall Anime season, shows that were good:

Legend of the Legendary Heroes
    Star Driver
    Ore no Imouto
    Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
    Amagami SS
    A Certain Magical Index Season 2

Also, if no one has checked it out yet:
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Sazumiya Seasons 1 & 2 + Movie (The Disappearance of Haruhi Sazumiya)
    Griggle990

Post by Griggle990 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Soul Eater - Its like a cross between harry potter and the grim reaper. Its awesome in almost every way and keeps you interested.
    Xyless
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by Xyless on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Panty & Stocking is my guilty pleasure.
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:24 am

Xyless wrote:Panty & Stocking is my guilty pleasure.

Nothing Guilty about that. It's one of the greatest Gainax shows yet.
    Xyless
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by Xyless on Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:48 am

Oh, I know, but it's mostly the standard rabid fans that put me off from being outspoken about liking it.
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot on Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:26 pm

Xyless wrote:Oh, I know, but it's mostly the standard rabid fans that put me off from being outspoken about liking it.

You'll find that with a lot of shows which make it/them very annoying.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is one of them; any real anime fan will know that show and put it at the top of their lists, but at the same time you're like "ughh... I'm part of the rabid fan base"
    Jarkeler
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by Jarkeler on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Tator Tot wrote:
    Xyless wrote:Oh, I know, but it's mostly the standard rabid fans that put me off from being outspoken about liking it.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is one of them; any real anime fan will know that show and put it at the top of their lists, but at the same time you're like "ughh... I'm part of the rabid fan base"

I downloaded the first couple of episodes, watched the first one and then deleted it from my computer.

Too irritating and stupid.
    Griggle990

Post by Griggle990 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Jarkeler wrote:
    Tator Tot wrote:

I downloaded the first couple of episodes, watched the first one and then deleted it from my computer.

Too irritating and stupid.
    Oh common you gotta give it a chance. At least watch the first 5 to 10 eps before you make a judgement.
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 pm

Jarkler is always butt hurt.
    Jarkeler
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by Jarkeler on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:10 am

Nah, couldn't do it Griggle.
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47 am

Well you're missing out on a great show then man.
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:05 pm

Griggle990 wrote:Oh common you gotta give it a chance. At least watch the first 5 to 10 eps before you make a judgement.
    Any show where someone tells me I have to keep watching is a bust for me, to be honest. It's like FF14 where if you just got through the first 20 hours it got good. Obviously that's an exaggeration, but its in that same vein.

On topic, I'm going to download and try that one out, Tot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:22 pm