The Irish Mob

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Irish Mob is boss. That is all.

Feeling creative? Want to show your love for the Mob? Do both in one go - check out the Mr/Ms Mob 2010 competition!
Don't forget to visit our chatbox for some random chatter about nothing in particular.
Invite all your friends! Invite everyone you could ever know!
Help us continue our story 6 words at a time here.

+8
J3ipolarGod
IngoSmith
ephie
Griggle990
Tator Tot
Xian
Rhosauce
Exxy
12 posters

Paper vs Tech

Poll

Choose Which

[ 11 ]
    Paper vs Tech Bar_le1073%Paper vs Tech Bar_ri10 [73%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Paper vs Tech Bar_le1027%Paper vs Tech Bar_ri10 [27%] 

Total Votes: 15

Paper vs Tech Empty Paper vs Tech

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Just wondering how many elitists there are here who'd choose paper over any form of wireless reading device.

I personally can't decide. As much as I love the smell of a new book and the feel of the paper, a Kindle holds so much more and is so much more convenient.
    Exxy
    Exxy
    DERP
    DERP

Paper vs Tech Empty Re: Paper vs Tech

Post by Exxy Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:01 pm

I prefer paper form over digital form. But being as poor as I am now, I have to rely on digital releases due to the cheaper price in general. But as soon as my next paycheck arrives I will most likely start getting some proper books again.

I must admit though, reading the newspaper at a friends place on his iPad, I was kind of tempted to get one for the whole book-reading-aspect.
    Rhosauce
    Rhosauce
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Rhosauce Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:24 pm

Nothing will ever make me stop loving books. Paper books. Screw the digital, it's not the same thing.
    Xian
    Xian
    You are tearin' me apart!

Post by Xian Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:38 pm

as much of the love for tech i have, still can never beat a good paperback
    Tator Tot
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:43 pm

For the pleasure of owning, I want a Hardback book.

But; I have no objections to reading a book on a eReader with a good E-Ink display. It looks almost like paper, you can get skins to make it feel like paper, the only difference is I can lug around 1 book that's smaller than a ledger or journal.

Or I can stuff my bag with many books.

I still want a book shelf with physical copies on it. Just like I want a CD Rack or DVD/BR rack with movies/music on it.
    Griggle990
    Griggle990

Post by Griggle990 Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:09 pm

I am sorry guys but since getting an Ipad, I rather use it than an actual book. For starters, the I pad is thin, the books I like to read are thick and there are just not enough room for them in my bag. The IPad can also store hundreds of books at once, so its like a library on the go. The Ibooks app is a very cook app because you can turn pages like as if it was a real book. Ibooks also support bookmarking, dictionary, and a word search. You can also change the fonts, can read sideways or upright, and can also change the word size. I also like the New York Times App since it is free and easy to use. Plus newspapers are huge and is hard to keep together when reading while standing up. Look digital is the future today and reading books is so last year.
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:13 pm

To throw my two cents in, I'd probably cop out and buy an e-reader just because of the less room and more space to store books, but nothing beats that paper book smell. There's going to be a library in my house, and there's going to be books. Catface
    Griggle990
    Griggle990

Post by Griggle990 Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:19 pm

That is true. I will have a library in my house as well. It looks more impressive if someone comes over and see a wall of technical books. But when I am on the go I will take my IPad
    IngoSmith
    IngoSmith
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by IngoSmith Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:25 pm

I love books, real books, but i can't hide them on my desk with all my other junk. Its nice to be able to thumb through a tiny version of alice in wonderland while me boss is yelling about publishing deadlines. HTC phone for awesome stealth reading and reference books. at all other times, paper. gimmie.
    To steal this a little, but not much, I promise, just a squiff. It hit me last night as I was scratching my backside trying to understand how the hell we progressed from chains to having a tiny button ontop of the loo that we have had such a huge and sudden shift in the technology of living. I was lucky as a boy, because i was thrown into the care of two institutions, the first was what was once known as The Boy Scouts (who now have girls, and i feel i missed out on a trick or six there) and the other was the family of my best friend, who were from the netherlands, and had no television. Aside form me beleiving for several years that people in holland had no tv, i managed to escape much of life plugged into a games console. I fell out of trees, got green knees, bumsurfed down sanddunes and a variety of other such activities OUTSIDE. This has led me to build up an idea in my head that we live paralell lives with ourselves. Analog and Digital existances. Television, Cinema, THE INTERNET, versus Fields, trees, martial arts, building a working trebuchet out of scaffolding and mini coopers. So much of real life, experiences, we have a barrier between us and the world. An HD screen, a BOSE sound system, ikea furniture.
    Should I ever have a child, i want them to know what grass smells like before they know what teletubbies are.
    Thankyou for bearing with me.
    J3ipolarGod
    J3ipolarGod
    I am disappoint
    I am disappoint

Post by J3ipolarGod Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:38 pm

It comes down to one thing for me. Smell. I love the way new books smell. Even better is an old book. I was able to get my hands on a very old copy of Ulysses (great read btw) and it smells like OLD. Seriously if you ever wanted to know what OLD smelt like, that's it!
    Griggle990
    Griggle990

Post by Griggle990 Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:02 pm

IngoSmith wrote:I love books, real books, but i can't hide them on my desk with all my other junk. Its nice to be able to thumb through a tiny version of alice in wonderland while me boss is yelling about publishing deadlines. HTC phone for awesome stealth reading and reference books. at all other times, paper. gimmie.
    To steal this a little, but not much, I promise, just a squiff. It hit me last night as I was scratching my backside trying to understand how the hell we progressed from chains to having a tiny button ontop of the loo that we have had such a huge and sudden shift in the technology of living. I was lucky as a boy, because i was thrown into the care of two institutions, the first was what was once known as The Boy Scouts (who now have girls, and i feel i missed out on a trick or six there) and the other was the family of my best friend, who were from the netherlands, and had no television. Aside form me beleiving for several years that people in holland had no tv, i managed to escape much of life plugged into a games console. I fell out of trees, got green knees, bumsurfed down sanddunes and a variety of other such activities OUTSIDE. This has led me to build up an idea in my head that we live paralell lives with ourselves. Analog and Digital existances. Television, Cinema, THE INTERNET, versus Fields, trees, martial arts, building a working trebuchet out of scaffolding and mini coopers. So much of real life, experiences, we have a barrier between us and the world. An HD screen, a BOSE sound system, ikea furniture.
    Should I ever have a child, i want them to know what grass smells like before they know what teletubbies are.
    Thankyou for bearing with me.
    OOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKK. Um we are talking about books VS E readers. Not about what ever you posted. But yah I guess when I have children, I will take them to the park and will not show them teletubbies. Since they will not be on television in the future I hope.
    Nader
    Nader
    DERP
    DERP

Post by Nader Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:07 pm

Personally I find the idea of a digital version more appealing for space conveniences and just the fact that I watch TV digitally now-a-days too.. just more convenient because I do most of my work/entertainment through a computer in the first place. I love paper books but I hate when a page gets bent or the cover gets ruined.... perfectionism ftl.
    IngoSmith
    IngoSmith
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by IngoSmith Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:52 pm

Griggle990 wrote:OOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKK. Um we are talking about books VS E readers. Not about what ever you posted....

the yawning desperate chasm between reality and the experienced reality presented us through the medium of technology? paper versus a screen?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:57 pm

He speaks philosophy, you kind of have to be of the same type of mind to understand Blushing
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:58 pm

Griggles wrote:OOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKK. Um we are talking about books VS E readers. Not about what ever you posted. But yah I guess when I have children, I will take them to the park and will not show them teletubbies. Since they will not be on television in the future I hope.
    I think that the thread title could be a bit misleading, but down to it's core, it's between physical books and digital books.

J3ipolarGod wrote:Seriously if you ever wanted to know what OLD smelt like, that's it!
    I asked yer mum, she asked me to sniff her tweenies but I declined. Scared

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:04 pm

ephie wrote:I think that the thread title could be a bit misleading, but down to it's core, it's between physical books and digital books.
    I am offended Anger
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:07 pm

Redline wrote:
    ephie wrote:I think that the thread title could be a bit misleading, but down to it's core, it's between physical books and digital books.
    I am offended Anger
    You shouldn't be, I'd have made the title the same. On the surface it could be confusing. No worries though. Sigh
    Tator Tot
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Griggle, if you like reading on the iPad wait till you actually try a good eReader.

E-Ink displays are MUCH better than the iPad's crap display for reading text on.
    Rhosauce
    Rhosauce
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Rhosauce Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:49 pm

ephie wrote:There's going to be a library in my house, and there's going to be books. Catface

Only 'cause I'm not going to cop out and abandon beautiful hard copies for digi ones. Grr
    Griggle990
    Griggle990

Post by Griggle990 Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:38 pm

Tator Tot wrote:Griggle, if you like reading on the iPad wait till you actually try a good eReader.

E-Ink displays are MUCH better than the iPad's crap display for reading text on.
    No I disagree. I used the Kindle DX and I hated the fact that was not back lit, and did not have a touch screen. In fact the thing had no color and was laggy. The Ipad 5x better.
    Tator Tot
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:44 pm

Griggle990 wrote:
    Tator Tot wrote:Griggle, if you like reading on the iPad wait till you actually try a good eReader.

No I disagree. I used the Kindle DX and I hated the fact that was not back lit, and did not have a touch screen. In fact the thing had no color and was laggy. The Ipad 5x better.

All the problems you listed were with the device, not the screen.

There's actually a screen I'm looking forward to more people using. The Piexel Qi LCD-eInk hybrid screen. I got to demo one of these and it was just phenomenal.
    Griggle990
    Griggle990

Post by Griggle990 Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Tator Tot wrote:
    Griggle990 wrote:

All the problems you listed were with the device, not the screen.

There's actually a screen I'm looking forward to more people using. The Piexel Qi LCD-eInk hybrid screen. I got to demo one of these and it was just phenomenal.
    It is true that the screen in optimal conditions, is much better than the IPad. I used it and I agree that it looks more natural. But when you compare the functionality of the IPad compared the the kindle, there is no contest.
    Rhosauce
    Rhosauce
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Rhosauce Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:02 am

I'd like to suggest a separate thread for the iPad vs Kindle debate to prevent a derail. Blushing
    Griggle990
    Griggle990

Post by Griggle990 Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:10 am

It is still in a way relevant. But yes it is E-reader vs E-reader.
    Koblentz
    Koblentz
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Koblentz Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:08 am

e-readers are cool for a lot of different reasons, but there's no way the printed word is going to be replaced anytime soon. Electronic formats are simply not durable enough, nor do they occupy a physical space, nor are they physically browsable the way books are. Page-flipping is still a great way to navigate text, aside from the lack of a "find" function.

Griggle990 wrote:It is still in a way relevant. But yes it is E-reader vs E-reader.
    Hardly, man. We got a tech section for that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm