The Irish Mob

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Irish Mob is boss. That is all.

Feeling creative? Want to show your love for the Mob? Do both in one go - check out the Mr/Ms Mob 2010 competition!
Don't forget to visit our chatbox for some random chatter about nothing in particular.
Invite all your friends! Invite everyone you could ever know!
Help us continue our story 6 words at a time here.

+8
J3ipolarGod
IngoSmith
ephie
Griggle990
Tator Tot
Xian
Rhosauce
Exxy
12 posters

Paper vs Tech

Poll

Choose Which

[ 11 ]
    Paper vs Tech - Page 2 Bar_le1073%Paper vs Tech - Page 2 Bar_ri10 [73%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Paper vs Tech - Page 2 Bar_le1027%Paper vs Tech - Page 2 Bar_ri10 [27%] 

Total Votes: 15
    Griggle990
    Griggle990
    You are tearin' me apart!

Paper vs Tech - Page 2 Empty Re: Paper vs Tech

Post by Griggle990 Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:26 am

Ok I am not saying books will disappear completely. It is true that it is easer to turn allot of pages at once like then you want to check you answers in a math text book. but when you are reading a novel, you are not missing anything but reading of the IPad. Ok you might miss the "smell" of the book (like what do you get high off that stuff). But as I said before, I will keep books at home since I will not have to worry about portability when sitting in my favorite chair. But when I am on the go, I will take the IPad. I also read that newspapers in the US will be completely digital in the next 5 to 6 years. And there are others who think it will start sooner. I take the Long Island Rail Road every day and every day I see more and more people using Kindles and IPads. If that is not proof enough that people are willing to make the change, then I don't know what is. But that does not mean that bookstors will go out of business. No it means that more and more books will be digitized and if they want to stay ahead they will have to take advantage of the digital age.
    Rhosauce
    Rhosauce
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Rhosauce Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:02 am

Griggle990 wrote:but when you are reading a novel, you are not missing anything but reading of the IPad.

That is a statement based completely on your opinion.

The majority of us prefer paper to tech when it comes to reading material, one of the reasons being the smell. Probably because aesthetics are incredibly important when one is going to devote time to a hobby.

Reading isn't a quick passtime. You're going to spend a few hours on a book of decent length and enjoying the subtle aspects of it will make the whole thing much more satisfying. I personally like the feel of the paper as well. I really like the sound of turning pages too. If I didn't, I would be using an e-reader instead of still spending money on books.

I also believe that e-readers take the character out of stories. The covers (front and back), the raised titles of each novel (I have no idea what that's called), whether the book is bigger or smaller than the last one, thinner or thicker. If the pages are white or yellowed. They are all very unique to a story and it's, I don't know, "charming" I suppose. A lot is about the aesthetics.

Griggle990 wrote:Ok you might miss the "smell" of the book (like what do you get high off that stuff).

I'd recommend not mocking it simply because you don't feel the same.

Now, I understand the appeal of e-readers. They're light, they can carry so many more books, they don't take up much space. That's fantastic - whoever thought of it is one smart bunny. However, we managed this long carrying books with us wherever we went so I fail to see how e-readers will ever become a must-have. That contributes to my disinterest.

TL;DR

Summary: Smells, sounds, looks, details of books are a few of the things that make books more appealing. Don't mock it just because you don't agree. We've survived this long with carrying hard copies of novels, e-readers are not a necessity and I don't foresee them ever becoming one.
    Foblentz
    Foblentz
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by Foblentz Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:28 pm

(total derail from doing my project right now)

With books I have to say I prefer the paper over tech, and it's probably more to do with the aesthetics about it. There's something about psychically pinching that corner of the page and flipping it over to read the next block of text. Also, when you put the book down for the night (or whatever), there's a feeling of satisfaction from flipping to find where you last left off (if you don't use a bookmark like me).

Now- talking about newspapers! I don't like newspapers in general, but I prefer to read news on the screen but I will more than likely not buy an eReader of sorts just to read the news.

The other point I have against eReaders, personally, is its fragility- goes with aesthetics again. The RAIN. Sure, it sucks when your book gets wet, but it adds character to the book. I'm just afraid that if I had an eReader, I'd have to leave it at home on rainy days for fear of damaging it. Because just because it's raining doesn't mean I'm not going to read while I wait for the bus at the station (or where ever).

Plus, I like the look of a well-stocked bookshelf (and library-style converted room with shelves for walls).

Laa I <3 books.
    ericxboba
    ericxboba
    DERP
    DERP

Post by ericxboba Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:25 pm

I definitely prefer to own hardcover books. For me buying a book a lot more than just what I read, although it doesn't hurt my head as much as an electronic reader. It is having the physical copy of it, the touch of it, the way it feels, and that it is something I can pass on to someone else if they want to read it in the future. I'm kind of a romantic when it comes to this (and the English major in me is speaking).

That being said, I don't mind a lot of my textbooks being online especially when it is for classes like science. My entire reading material for my science class is online to download and is free. Can't beat that.

Anyway, I have a lot of books and like having a library of sorts in my apartment. Having books around is comforting to me and hopefully when I have a family one day it will encourage them to read as well. Nothing against e-readers or kindle...I just really prefer to have a physical copy of a novel.
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:11 pm

ericxboba wrote:That being said, I don't mind a lot of my textbooks being online especially when it is for classes like science. My entire reading material for my science class is online to download and is free. Can't beat that.
    That's a good point. I would have loved to been able to get my books online, but even rental or owning the download still ran me 30+ dollars. It makes me sad inside. Sad
    Griggle990
    Griggle990

Post by Griggle990 Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Foblentz wrote:(total derail from doing my project right now)

The RAIN. Sure, it sucks when your book gets wet, but it adds character to the book. I'm just afraid that if I had an eReader, I'd have to leave it at home on rainy days for fear of damaging it. Because just because it's raining doesn't mean I'm not going to read while I wait for the bus at the station (or where ever).
    What? Who reads in the rain? And I sometimes had to use my IPad in the rain and this proves that a little water is not going to do it any harm. In fact rain can be more harsh for a book than a portable device. Water can make the pages brittle, and warp. The pages then start to stick together and the ink sill start to run. Hay I had floods in my basement and I can tell you, it is not fun trying to separate those pages.
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Griggle990 wrote:

The RAIN. Sure, it sucks when your book gets wet, but it adds character to the book. I'm just afraid that if I had an eReader, I'd have to leave it at home on rainy days for fear of damaging it. Because just because it's raining doesn't mean I'm not going to read while I wait for the bus at the station (or where ever).
    What? Who reads in the rain?
    She does, obviously. -_-
    Foblentz
    Foblentz
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by Foblentz Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:53 am

ephie wrote:
    Griggle990 wrote:

What? Who reads in the rain?
    She does, obviously. -_-

Uhh

I don't exactly read IN the rain.... I guess my point is, if a book gets wet, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it versus if a tech got wet. ....?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 am