The Irish Mob is boss. That is all.

Feeling creative? Want to show your love for the Mob? Do both in one go - check out the Mr/Ms Mob 2010 competition!
Don't forget to visit our chatbox for some random chatter about nothing in particular.
Invite all your friends! Invite everyone you could ever know!
Help us continue our story 6 words at a time here.

Domestic Violence

ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Domestic Violence

Post by ephie on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:45 pm

So, I've got a paper due this Friday, three or so pages, no big deal. The topic is on Domestic violence, and instead of doing what I've done with the past couple papers, I decided to ask you guys what you thought on the topic, and see some responses and opinions. Catface So, let me know, how does domestic violence affect you, or someone close to you? Does it at all? What do you think of people who commit it? Just some broad things to think about if you choose to respond.

Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Re: Domestic Violence

Post by Rhosauce on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Violence by women against men is severely underestimated.

Sibling violence is also underestimated.

Shit sucks, man.

I'll write more when my brain works.
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:56 pm

In the US, violence between two people in an intimate relationship (Bf/gf, wife/husband) is now known exclusively as intimate partner violence, as domestic violence is and should be broad enough to cover things like violence between siblings, and parents, etc as well as IPV. Sad

Can't wait to hear more from you.

EDIT: Should I move this to D&D?

Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Rhosauce on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Interesting. I didn't know that. I also don't see the point if domestic violence is there to cover all aspects of violence in the home.

Yeah, move it.
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Well, individual aspects OF domestic violence, I think, should have their own research and, indeed, name so we can better focus on the partial aspects and therefore help overall.

Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Rhosauce on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:11 pm

I suppose that makes sense on a research/social services/professional level. I'ma still call it domestic violence in everyday conversations.
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Well real quick; how long does the paper have to be?

You may want to narrow your field of view down before you begin writting or you'll end up writing out 12 pages of "alksdjflajds" when it was only supposed to be a 3-5 page paper. (trust me I've done it.)

Also, I do think at some point you should open up with a "most people think of domestic violence as violence from a man onto his partner" and then expand it so the audience realizes that it's not just Gender x Gender, but instead a by person basis.
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Correct. I brought that point up in the brief time we talked about it last Friday. Don't worry about me compressing information, I'll do that just fine. This is more to discuss and learn what other people think on the topic.

The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:55 pm

DP: I forgot to take pictures of my project for women's studies. Dead I will do that when I get home.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content