The Irish Mob

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Irish Mob is boss. That is all.

Feeling creative? Want to show your love for the Mob? Do both in one go - check out the Mr/Ms Mob 2010 competition!
Don't forget to visit our chatbox for some random chatter about nothing in particular.
Invite all your friends! Invite everyone you could ever know!
Help us continue our story 6 words at a time here.

+3
Exxy
SoJexs
Rhosauce
7 posters

Worst Books

Worst Books Empty Worst Books

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:07 am

We all have a few books that we feel we shouldn't have bothered with Loathing

The first five chapters of Twilight.
    Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad.
    All the Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy
    God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

I'm sure there are more. They'll come to me.
    What about you guys?
    Rhosauce
    Rhosauce
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Worst Books Empty Re: Worst Books

Post by Rhosauce Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:11 am

Why don't you like the Arundhati Roy book?

I can't think of any at the moment, to be honest. Oh, hang on - James Patterson. I really dislike his books. I read one that I thought was a one-off failure (I think it was called Violets Are Blue) and I read another...

... so bad... so, so bad.

Dizzy

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:15 am

Admittedly, I like dark and realistic books.
    But I have a thing about incest. Can't stand reading about it, it makes me feel ill Sick
    And the twincestuous couple ends up together and relatively happy in the end (despite their traumatic childhoods) and that gives the impression that it's alright, have sex with your sibling! Love conquers all!

I'm probably just biased.
    SoJexs
    SoJexs
    DERP
    DERP

Post by SoJexs Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:34 am

Twilight.
    Any of the Dune series not written by Frank Herbert.
    Exxy
    Exxy
    DERP
    DERP

Post by Exxy Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:11 pm

There was a book released by a glamour model here in sweden called "Glamour girl" (The author's name is Linda Rosing I think).

And I tell you, that was the worst fucking thing I've ever read. It's nothing but smacktalk, embarassing stories and way too UNDERDETAILED stories of sexual encounters.
    Tator Tot
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:47 pm

Twilight - probably wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't sold as a literary masterpiece.

Lord of the Flies
    - If I have to read this one more time I'll kill someone.
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:56 pm

Tator Tot wrote:Twilight - probably wouldn't have been so bad if it was sold as fan fiction.
    Fix'd.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:11 pm

ephie wrote:
    Tator Tot wrote:Twilight - probably wouldn't have been so bad if it was sold as fan fiction.
    Fix'd.
    +1

And I might get lynched for this but I can't STAND Romeo and Juliet ANYMORE. NO MORE OF THAT ROMANTIC CRAP KTHNXBAI
    Tator Tot
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Redline wrote:And I might get lynched for this but I can't STAND Romeo and Juliet ANYMORE. NO MORE OF THAT ROMANTIC CRAP KTHNXBAI

The original doesn't bother me as it came first, it's all the cookie cutters that came later that I can't stand.

Be original, have new concepts, a different story line. Not all romance needs to follow
    Meet > Love > Happy Ending or Meet > Love > Suicide.
    Koblentz
    Koblentz
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Koblentz Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Tucker Max's book. I read a couple pages, skimmed the rest, and handed it back to the person that gave it to me. For those who don't know, it's a collection of poorly-written "true" stories that can be summed up with "im better thn u bro Worst Books 218552" Also had a cover that used Bank Gothic as its main typeface.

Fucking garbage.
    ericxboba
    ericxboba
    DERP
    DERP

Post by ericxboba Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:54 pm

Redline wrote:We all have a few books that we feel we shouldn't have bothered with Loathing

:( I liked that one. Not everyone's cup of tea though...that's for sure.

I didn't particularly like:

1. Our Town by Thornton Wilder
    2. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
    3. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
    4. Most things by Kurt Vonnegut.

I tried to get into Vonnegut a few times but it hasn't worked out for me.
    SoJexs
    SoJexs
    DERP
    DERP

Post by SoJexs Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:10 pm

Red, I now hate you. I LOVE Romeo & Juliet! ITS THE BEST THING SHAKESPEARE E'ER WROTE INCLUDING THE TEMPEST WHICH WAS ACTUALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD THANK YOU VERRY MUCH.

/sarcasm.

But in all honesty, R&J is actually worth it not because of the two-week long love affair, but because of all the other characters and their interactions. It's also a kickass way to learn Shakespeare, mostly because it is chock full of dirty jokes (a favorite of mine is when Juliet's nurse calls her a whore). Yeah, the main story is soppy as shit but the turns of phrases clever ways of describing the setting that make it worth it.

/Shakespeare geek Gah

On topic, a four-part comic called I Love Halloween was a general waste of my time. Just four stupid as hell tales that tried to hard to be Invader Zim and JtHM.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:59 am

ericxboba wrote:
    Redline wrote:We all have a few books that we feel we shouldn't have bothered with Loathing

:( I liked that one. Not everyone's cup of tea though...that's for sure.
    I dunno, I didn't have it in me to care about characters that were so stoic and... flat Uhh

SoJexs wrote:Red, I now hate you. I LOVE Romeo & Juliet! ITS THE BEST THING SHAKESPEARE E'ER WROTE INCLUDING THE TEMPEST WHICH WAS ACTUALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD THANK YOU VERRY MUCH.

/sarcasm.

But in all honesty, R&J is actually worth it not because of the two-week long love affair, but because of all the other characters and their interactions. It's also a kickass way to learn Shakespeare, mostly because it is chock full of dirty jokes (a favorite of mine is when Juliet's nurse calls her a whore). Yeah, the main story is soppy as shit but the turns of phrases clever ways of describing the setting that make it worth it.

/Shakespeare geek Gah

On topic, a four-part comic called I Love Halloween was a general waste of my time. Just four stupid as hell tales that tried to hard to be Invader Zim and JtHM.
    I'll take Hamlet, Macbeth and Much Ado About Nothing over that any day.

/Shakespeare geek too Catface
    ericxboba
    ericxboba
    DERP
    DERP

Post by ericxboba Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Cormac McCarthy's writing style is a lot like Hemingway's...pretty simple sentences and dialogue between characters and characters that aren't seen as traditionally round but more flat and stoic. I like it but can honestly see why people would hate either one of those authors.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am