The Irish Mob is boss. That is all.

Feeling creative? Want to show your love for the Mob? Do both in one go - check out the Mr/Ms Mob 2010 competition!
Don't forget to visit our chatbox for some random chatter about nothing in particular.
Invite all your friends! Invite everyone you could ever know!
Help us continue our story 6 words at a time here.

About WikiLeaks

Poll

Good or bad?

[ 3 ]
    23% [23%] 
    [ 1 ]
    8% [8%] 
    [ 1 ]
    8% [8%] 
    [ 8 ]
    61% [61%] 

Total Votes: 13
    Coffin Dodger
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Re: About WikiLeaks

Post by Coffin Dodger on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

How about this...i can't look at the article he posted. Technically i'm not even allowed to here about it.

So tell me in your words what he posted about.
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:49 am

Coffin Dodger wrote:How about this...i can't look at the article he posted. Technically i'm not even allowed to here about it.

So tell me in your words what he posted about.

War crimes that the US committed. Different classified reports were leaked which talked about various actions that the US took which broke international laws and conventions we (the US) signed and agreed to.

It was not only the US as well, documents also explicitly stated involvement from the British & Iraqi (on our side) forces.

EDIT: Crimes not limited to, but including things like torture, rape, and theft.
    Coffin Dodger
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by Coffin Dodger on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:59 am

I'm hearing something else from another person.

Telling me there were three posts of information:

-war crimes

-Notes on Ambassadors and deals

-US Strategic Military Positions

That sound about right?
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:18 am

War Crimes stuff was leaked by a soldier. The other stuff I don't know about, and I cannot check right now (as Wikileaks did a site update and I can't figure out where you go to read the leaks. )

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:35 am

I think I've made up my mind about this.

WikiLeaks is a good concept. It holds governments responsible for things they'd hoped to keep secret but should still answer for.

However, the way they choose what goes on there (if they even bother to do so) is ridiculous. Posting things like lists of names and locations is tantamount to reckless endangerment. They place the possibilities of torture and death there and take a step back like the world had to know.

Except that we didn't. Nothing wrong with Afghan informants. They haven't committed any war crimes, as far as we know. So WikiLeaks giving out their names like what happens thereafter is none of their business is absolutely absurd.

There's also no reason to post the list of the targets in Taliban and al-Qaida. That list exists because they're in the higher ranks of those organisations. What does something like that accomplish?

Even the deaths of the journalists - what did that accomplish? I agree that it had to be known but the world was horrified for a day and then seemed to forget, even though the men responsible for firing on them weren't made to answer for it.

So what is WikiLeaks for?

For Assange's fame, in my opinion. It was a good concept that turned into a pointless media fiasco. He seems to love being on the front page, all over the news.

All in all, this has become so shameful that I find it difficult to watch on the news. Pena ajena is probably the right way to say it, though there's no exact translation. "Third-party shame" is likely the best way to put it. I watch this circus and feel ashamed for the way the US and WikiLeaks are acting like two children fighting over a diary.

And it'll accomplish next to nothing in the end.

Last edited by Redline on Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    Coffin Dodger
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by Coffin Dodger on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Tator Tot wrote:War Crimes stuff was leaked by a soldier. The other stuff I don't know about, and I cannot check right now (as Wikileaks did a site update and I can't figure out where you go to read the leaks. )

Got it confirmed by a FAO in my class. He didn't just reveal "war Crimes."
    Koblentz
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Koblentz on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:12 pm

Coffin Dodger wrote:I'm hearing something else from another person.

Telling me there were three posts of information:
    I don't know exactly what your question is, but I'll take a shot at answering it.

Wikileaks has been leaking all sorts of things since 2006, and it hasn't been until recently that the bulk of its releases was about the US. In 2010 there have been four major releases.

• Collateral Murder: A video of an airstrike in Baghdad that occurred in July 2007. It shows gunsight footage of an Apache helicopter firing on Reuters journalists and civilians because one of its crew thought he saw an RPG. This is the release that brought Wikileaks into the mainstream American conciousness.
    • Afghan War Diary: A release of 92,000 documents from the War in Afghanistan, mostly (all?) military logs. The documents contain reports of prisoner abuse, friendly fire incidents, hundreds of civilian deaths at the hands of American and NATO troops, foreign support for the Taliban, and numerous attacks involving al-Qaeda. As a whole, this release paints a dramatically different picture of the war effort from that painted by the US government and its allies.
    • Iraq War Logs: A release of 380,000 US Army field reports, similar in content to the Afghan War Diary.
    • Cablegate: An ongoing release of US diplomatic cables with a variety of information. The cables are mostly reports on conversations and informational dispatches from diplomats. Wikileaks is releasing select cables daily, rather than all at once as in the Afghan and Iraq War leaks.
    More details can be found on Wikileaks's Wikipedia page.
    Foblentz
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by Foblentz on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:24 pm

The actions against Wikileaks, as I see it, is typical U.S. reactionary measures to protect itself (military and gov't), and to "protect" its people from what it's doing so to avoid any decrease in national pride as being #1.

Wikileaks serves more than just to post revealing information to the public. Yes, some of the information may be endangering but when it comes to the U.S. military and government, what information isn't?

For journalists, and I'm not talking about broadcast anchors and big-time corporate-run reporters who do shit and shoddy work, Wikileaks is an invaluable tool equivalent to FOIA, and while nonreporters may not understand and may not care, the information that is provided to the public is important. It gives you, as an ordinary person whether you care or not, the tool to empower yourself with information - whether you want to believe the information or not.

The purpose of Wikileaks isn't to bring about short term, swift action though it has the potential to do so. It has more or less a long-term goal in that with enough information to the public, the people who read the leaks will be informed to take action individually or collectively (or none at all).

From a journalistic standpoint, we need Wikileaks. From an individual, civilian standpoint, I need Wikileaks.
    Koblentz
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Koblentz on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Redline wrote:All in all, this has become so shameful that I find it difficult to watch on the news.
    The only thing shameful about the entire ordeal is private corporations' response to the State Department letters regarding the possible illegality of interacting in any way with Wikileaks: take down content, suspend domain names, block donations, make it difficult for Wikileaks to function. They're complicit in censorship.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:38 pm