The Irish Mob

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Irish Mob is boss. That is all.

Feeling creative? Want to show your love for the Mob? Do both in one go - check out the Mr/Ms Mob 2010 competition!
Don't forget to visit our chatbox for some random chatter about nothing in particular.
Invite all your friends! Invite everyone you could ever know!
Help us continue our story 6 words at a time here.

+2
Tator Tot
catalyticCthulhu
6 posters

onLive game system

catalyticCthulhu
    catalyticCthulhu
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

onLive game system Empty onLive game system

Post by catalyticCthulhu Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:39 pm

onLive

Anyone hear much about this? I had read about this a LONG time ago when it was just conceptual basically.. It seems like a solid concept and great business model. I imagine they are doing quite well.

The promotion they have now is pretty neat. Pre-order Homefront and get the system free(as well as access to playing Metro 2033).
    Tator Tot
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

onLive game system Empty Re: onLive game system

Post by Tator Tot Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:28 am

I did the beta for it, I had the system and it was actually pretty bad.

Because of the way the internet infastructure is setup in the US; no matter how fast your internet is, you have high ping in games which gives you a noticeable delay while playing.

The Visual Quality of the games is also worse than an Xbox or PS/3. If you play this up close like you would with a PC it's almost eye cancer. Even 10 feet away on a 40" TV it's terrible.
    Eggbert
    Eggbert
    I am disappoint
    I am disappoint

Post by Eggbert Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:52 am

Cheers for the heads up, I was pretty skeptical about this in the first place so this just confirms the doubts I had.
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:17 am

Just to make sure it wasn't my internet at the time I not only did a download test but turned on torrents and downloads to make sure I was downloading at peak. Every five minutes I had a "network issue" when playing a free trial of a game, plus it looked like ass. It's a cool cool idea, but it's not working quite right at the moment.
    Tator Tot
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:14 pm

The best place for OnLive is some place like Japan where there cell service has faster average download than in the US.

Right now, with the way the US's internet infrastructure is setup we don't have the bandwidth to support any quality visuals with no lag in a streaming game service.
    catalyticCthulhu
    catalyticCthulhu
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by catalyticCthulhu Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Figured exactly this would be the issue.. Thanks guys =P

Not that I care.. Spending big bucks building PC's is my path =P
    Griggle990
    Griggle990
    You are tearin' me apart!
    You are tearin' me apart!

Post by Griggle990 Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Yah I knew there were going to be problems with this. When I first heard about it I this will never work. My internet is fast, but not fast enoughf to stream a game.
    Tator Tot
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Well the really problem is being fast enough for the interface.

You have to be able to transmit keyboard and mouse commands in under 10ms for us not to feel the delay.

To stream a good quality image, you only need 1Megabyte/second connection. That'll suffice for 1080P video.
    catalyticCthulhu
    catalyticCthulhu
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by catalyticCthulhu Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:20 pm

I know this could be another thread unto itself, but while we are on the subject, isn't 4G like ridiculously fast? If I just got a cell plan for the data and had the phone as a wireless hub couldn't I get better speeds than my cable plan?
    J3ipolarGod
    J3ipolarGod
    I am disappoint
    I am disappoint

Post by J3ipolarGod Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:25 pm

catalyticCthulhu wrote:I know this could be another thread unto itself, but while we are on the subject, isn't 4G like ridiculously fast? If I just got a cell plan for the data and had the phone as a wireless hub couldn't I get better speeds than my cable plan?

Depends on what your cable plan is I suppose. If you have the cheap package then it could very well be a possibility but I'm sure if you are paying for whatever the highest package is that your provider gives, you'll beat the pants off of the 4G network.
    Tator Tot
    Tator Tot
    Can't Triforce
    Can't Triforce

Post by Tator Tot Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Depends on who offers the 4G service.

Most 4G services are only "crazy fast" compared to old 3G services but they are not really "4th Generation" (what that #G stands for) they are Generation 3.5; only minor improvements on what existed before.

Except Sprint, they offer a more "true" 4G with WiMax. Though it's speeds right now don't match up with what a service has to offer to be considered truly 4th Generation.
    catalyticCthulhu
    catalyticCthulhu
    Sad Keanu
    Sad Keanu

Post by catalyticCthulhu Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:04 pm

But I mean what kind of speeds can I expect? With the lowest cable package I get 1.1MB/sec download. They have plans that are 2X, 3X, and 5X that.. And when I say MY plan, I mean my neighbor's plan =P

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:44 am