The Irish Mob

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Irish Mob is boss. That is all.

Feeling creative? Want to show your love for the Mob? Do both in one go - check out the Mr/Ms Mob 2010 competition!
Don't forget to visit our chatbox for some random chatter about nothing in particular.
Invite all your friends! Invite everyone you could ever know!
Help us continue our story 6 words at a time here.

3 posters

Declan Murphy

ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Declan Murphy Empty Declan Murphy

Post by ephie Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:23 pm

Name: ephie
    Character Name: Declan Murphy
    Nationality: Irish
    Brief Character History: Working as an undercover cop since 1920 when prohibition first started. Declan's family brought him over to America in 1910 when he was just ten years old, as they sought a better life. Growing up in Boston wasn't easy but luckily he was mentored by a retired cop turned teacher. Becoming a cop at 18, he rapidly moved up the chain, recording a ninety percent conviction rate during his first two years before volunteering for the dangerous task of infiltrating the Irish mobs of Boston.

Declan Murphy Prohibition
    Declan, picture against the post, watching Prohibition officers destroying illegal alcohol.
    Eventually one of the mob bosses, one Freddie Donnell, caught on to him, and offered him a deal in exchange for his life. In the summer of '24, Declan started blowing the whistle on the Donnell's potential competitors, whilst coincidentally Declan's lieutenant ordered him to get as close to Donnell as he could. (To be Donnell's dirty cop.) Eventually the underworld caught up to Declan, with 1925 finding him at rock bottom after spiraling out on a mixture of drugs and prohibition alcohol.

Last edited by ephie on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Kromel
    Kromel
    Bed Intruder
    Bed Intruder

Declan Murphy Empty Re: Declan Murphy

Post by Kromel Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:10 am

Player Name: Ephie
    Character Name: Declan Murphy
    College/Degrees:
    Birthplace:
    Sex: Male
    Sanity Points:
    Magic Points:
    Hit Points:

Attributes

Str: 12Dex: 11Int: 20Idea: 0
    Con: 16App: 14Pow: 13Luck: 0
    Siz: 11San: 0Edu: 19Know: 0
    Mythos: 0Damage Bonus: 0

Skills(Orange Highlighted Skills = Trained)

Accounting (10%)0Law (05%) 0Sneak (10%) 0
    Anthropology (01%)0 Library Use (25%) 0 Spot Hidden (25%)0
    Archaeology (01%) 0 Listen (25%)0 Swim (25%) 0
    Art (05%)0 Locksmith (01%) 0 Throw (25%) 0
    Astronomy (01%)0 Martial Arts (01%) 0 Track (10%) 0
    Bargain (05%) 0 Mech. Repair (20%) 0
    Biology (01%) 0 Medicine (05%) 0
    Chemistry (01%) 0 Natural History (10%) 0
    Climb (40%) 0 Navigate (10%) 0
    Conceal (15%) 0 Occult (05%) 0
    Craft (05%) 0 Operating Hvy Machine(01%)0
    Credit Rating (15%) 0 Other Language (01%) 0
    Cthulhu Mythos (00%) 0 Own Language (EDUx5%) 0
    Disguise (01%) 0 Persuade (15%) 0
    Dodge (DEX x2%) 0 Pharmacy (01%) 0
    Drive Auto (20%) 0 Photography (10%) 0
    Electr. Repair (10%) 0 Physics (01%) 0
    Fast Talk (05%) 0 Pilot (01%) 0 Firearms
    First Aid (30%) 0 Psychoanalysis (01%) 0 Handgun (20% 0
    Geology (01%) 0 Psychology (05%) 0 Machine Gun (15%) 0
    Hide (10%) 0 Ride (05%) 0 Rifle (25%) 0
    History (20%)0 Shotgun (30%) 0
    Jump (25%) 0 SMG (15%)0

Combat Skills

Melee Attack % Damage Hands Range # Attacks Hitpoints
    Fist (50%) 1 Touch 1 N/A
    Grapple (25%) 2 Touch 1 N/A
    Head (10%) 0 Touch 1 N/A
    Kick (25%)0 Touch 1 N/A

Firearm Attack % Damage Malfunction Range # Attacks Hitpoints

Last edited by Kromel on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:38 pm; edited 7 times in total
    Kromel
    Kromel
    Bed Intruder
    Bed Intruder

Post by Kromel Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:29 am

With your Occupation, you have 7 highlighted skills that your character has been trained in. You have one skill you can choose to add to your training. If you do not see a skill on the list, but you think is relevant to your character, please let me know.

At the start, you will be given skill points to spend freely on your skill list. Skills that you are trained in will take 1 point to increase your skill by 1. Spending points on non-trained skills will have the ratio of 2 to 1. It takes 2 points to increase a non-trained skill by 1 point.

Example:

You have 5 skill points to spend on your character.

Your Library Use automatically starts at 25%, you decide to put 2 points in it, which raises the 25% to 27%. You now have 3 points left to spend.

Looking at the skill list, you decide that Biology may be a nice thing to learn, it starts off at a devistating 01%. You want to increase the skill from 01% to 02%. Since you are not trained in it, it will require 2 skill points, leaving you with 1 skill point left.
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Could I trade Psychology for Disguise, I think it'd fit my character better? Or could I possibly suggest the seven skills? I'm just confused a bit since it said that the occupations and skill sets were guidelines.
    Kromel
    Kromel
    Bed Intruder
    Bed Intruder

Post by Kromel Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:01 pm

ephie wrote:Could I trade Psychology for Disguise, I think it'd fit my character better? Or could I possibly suggest the seven skills? I'm just confused a bit since it said that the occupations and skill sets were guidelines.

They are exactly that, just guidelines. I as a Game Master have no problem making any changes as long as they are reasonable and fit character. Hell, if someone has a new profession they want to create, I'm okay with that too, just as long as it is reasonable.

I've made the adjustment on your skills as requested. Psychology has been swapped for Disguise because it fits your character more. This is the kind of change I like and also necessary.

Let me know if you think there are more changed needed to be made. We could use this as a template profession called, "Undercover Police Officer".
    Kromel
    Kromel
    Bed Intruder
    Bed Intruder

Post by Kromel Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:06 pm

Also, have you chosen your 8th skill to train in yet?

"You have one skill you can choose to add to your training."

You can pick it from the list. If you do not see a skill you want, let me know what it is, and I'll see if I can make it happen.

ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:09 pm

No I have not. When I get to school I'll decide all of them. Also, what do the percentages stand for, by chance? Just curious. :3
    Kromel
    Kromel
    Bed Intruder
    Bed Intruder

Post by Kromel Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:24 pm

The percentages are your chances to succeed in a task.

Looking at the Skill list, some skills start off with some percentages.

The Bargain skill starts off with 5%. Which means, rather you are trained or not, EVERYONE has a 5% chance of successfully using that skill.

I'll explain the percentage more soon, as well as other information. Call of Cthulhu RPG (this version) is not level based. Instead of experience points, I will give you skill points. You then get to increase your percentages thus increasing your success rates when using that skill.

To raise your skill percentage, you spend a skill point. The Orange skills on your sheet are skills that your occupation has you trained in. It takes 1 point to increase the skill percentage by 1. Non-orange skills are skills that are untrained. It takes 2 skill points to raise the percentage by 1 point.

Lets say that after you managed to save the day, I award you 7 skill points. Looking at your character sheet, you note that your Bargain skill is 5% and you would like to increase your chances with that skill, so you decide to dump 2 points. The 2 points spent changes your Bargain skill from a 5% to a 7%, leaving you with 5 Skill Points.

You want to increase your Occult skill, but you are not trained in it. Occult's default percentage is 5%, you choose to increase it by 2, which takes 4 skill points to do so, leaving you with 1 skill point left.
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:52 pm

Ahh, that makes perfect sense. I like this. Catface

I think that the only other skill that needs to be swapped is maybe Listen for Anthropology, as focusing in on traits can be key for an Undercover Police Detective. I can't really think of anything else that would be better though. I'd like my 8th skill to go towards Handgun though, please, as an officer of the law needs to be well protected. :D

Post by Guest Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Cool character Grin
    pssssssssst, stating that you're an undercover detective kinda ruins the suprise...
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Redline wrote:Cool character Grin
    pssssssssst, stating that you're an undercover detective kinda ruins the suprise...
    That's interesting... I should have stuck with my first paragraph and revealed the second part throughout our adventures. *snaps fingers* Shucks, that sucks. Sad

Kromel, am I good to edit the Character sheet to fill in education and age and PoB?

Indeed. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I'll try to come up with a Step-by-step guide in creating a character soon.

As a GM, I strongly enforce the difference between player and character knowledge.

We the players may know your character is/was undercover, but our characters do not. And if someone uses player knowledge with their character, I simply politely point it out that they can't do it, since their character doesn't know the fact.
    Wildman
    Wildman
    I am disappoint
    I am disappoint

Post by Wildman Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:08 pm

ephie wrote:
    Redline wrote:Cool character Grin
    That's interesting... I should have stuck with my first paragraph and revealed the second part throughout our adventures. *snaps fingers* Shucks, that sucks. Sad

Kromel, am I good to edit the Character sheet to fill in education and age and PoB?

The less you leave out the better. Besides actually now that i think about it, it won't matter what you put in your BIO it only matters what our characters know in game. So we will only know as much as you tell us. If you use information you learned out of game thats metagaming, if you have never RPd before.
    Kromel
    Kromel
    Bed Intruder
    Bed Intruder

Post by Kromel Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Feel free. Also, I am going to make a quick post about the differences between Player and Character knowledge.

ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Lol, quote me next time instead of editing, but no worries, I click the edit button instead all the time. :P
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Kk, lucky rolls!

ephie carried out 4 launched of one 6 :
    2 , 5 , 1 , 4

4 , 3 , 4 , 6

5 , 3 , 6 , 3

2 , 3 , 4 , 4

3 , 5 , 5 , 1

6 , 1 , 4 , 2

6 , 5 , 4 , 5

6 , 6 , 4 , 1
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Triple post! Snicker

5+4+2=11
    4+4+6=14
    5+3+6=14
    3+4+4=11
    5+5+3=13
    6+4+2=12
    6+5+5=16
    6+6+4=16

Yugh, shit rolls. Okay, here are my stats:

STR - 12
    CON - 16
    DEX - 11
    SIZ - 11
    INT - 14
    POW - 13
    APP - 14
    EDU - 16

Declan's intelligence comes not from a formal education but from the experience he has accrued on the streets, both pre-officer and post. He has the ability to quickly put a situation in perspective, and deduce the best solution. The drinking of his ancestry has blessed him with a naturally high constitution, (lol) and he is both powerful and charming around other people, and able to leave an effect, whether good or bad is to be decided. He is a smaller man, but makes up for it with weight training. Sadly, that also leads to his lower natural agility. He is more succeptable to attacks but able to take a beating, for sure. His spirits are always high, even when spiraling downward.
    Kromel
    Kromel
    Bed Intruder
    Bed Intruder

Post by Kromel Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Adjusted your INT and EDU. You add 6 to INT roll and you add 3 to EDU. This goes for everyone, most will probably miss it but I have it stated in the Character Creation guide.

Oh btw, you were only supposed to roll 3D6 for INT instead of 4. But f'it, going to allow 4D6 for everyone.

Character Creation
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Sorry! I just assumed they were all the same. Sad My bad mate. Since I missed the change to INT and EDU, can I fix them around?

Say going:

STR 13
    CON 16
    DEX 11
    SIZ 11
    INT 12
    POW 14
    APP 16
    EDU 14

That would make my INT 18 and my EDU 17, correct? That's still high, yeah?

I'd like 2 of my skill points to go into Disguise, 2 in Anthropology, and 1 into Handgun, please. :3
    Kromel
    Kromel
    Bed Intruder
    Bed Intruder

Post by Kromel Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:26 pm

That's fine if you swap them, nothing is set in stop the the moment we start playing.
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Occupational Skills (EDU x 20 = 340)

50 - Anthropology
    40 - Bargain
    50 - Disguise
    60 - Fast Talk
    20 - Law
    50 - Persuade
    50 - Spot Hidden
    40 - Handgun
    -----------------
    340 Points

Hobby Skills (INT x 10 = 180)

30 - Locksmith
    15 - Hide
    20 - Drive
    20 - Punch
    20 - Headbutt
    20 - Grapple
    35 - Library Use
    15 - Psychoanalysis
    05 - Psychology
    -----------------
    180 Points

Declan is 25, and he and his family are from Cork, Ireland. He's had no further training or schooling past high school.
    ephie
    ephie
    The Dagda
    The Dagda

Post by ephie Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Idea: 90
    Knowledge: 85
    Luck: 70
    Dmg Bonus: +0
    MP: 14
    HP: 14